A Brief History of Faith Alliance Church
Our roots go back to Henry Manchester, a lay leader, and a group of converts from the American Salvation Army who held meetings in Attleboro prior to 1898. After the death of Henry Manchester, the remaining twenty-three men and women joined together to form an organization, Believers in Holiness of Heart. On October 6, 1898, they officially called themselves the Attleboro Christian Crusader Band. They started out in a hall at 10 S. Main Street and later moved to North Main Street. Services were held on Sunday afternoons and Thursday evenings. The group was interested in missions from the beginning.
In 1899, the group voted to become an organized church, The People's Free Church, with fourteen charter members and Elisha Mallory as their pastor.
In 1901, Rev. Arthur Green, who was the pastor of Emmanuel Church of North Attleboro, became the pastor.
After Rev. Greene's resignation in 1915, the small church became part of the Christian and Missionary Alliance officially in March of 1916. In 1917, they had the pleasure of hearing from the C&MA founder, Rev. A. B. Simpson. He spoke several times at camp meetings at Camp Hebron in Attleboro, MA.
The church began to grow rapidly. In April of 1923, they purchased the Dunham Estate property on the corner of Park St. and Park Ave. in Attleboro. Their meetings were held in a building that was previously used as a shop and a horse barn. In 1941, the construction of their new building began and was completed and dedicated on June 14, 1943. This handsome, small, brick church building still stands today.
As the seventies approached, continued growth created the need for larger facilities. The church changed its name to Faith Alliance, land was purchased on Pleasant Street, and on October 24, 1972, the original building was dedicated.
Once again, increase in ministries and membership demanded additional space for Faith Alliance. Ground was broken on November 6, 1996 for the new addition to our facility. Through hard work, volunteer help, and love for the Lord in the hearts of our people, our new addition was set in place. On June 1,1998, we received official clearance for occupancy.
For over 100 years, we have been committed to preaching of the word of God and the development of Biblical Christian character. We have always emphasized seeking Christ as our foundation, loving each other in the local body, reaching out to our local community, and supporting the furthering of God's kingdom through local and world missions.
|Christian and Missionary Alliance|